Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gluten Free Eating

  • 1 out of every 133 Americans (about 3 million people) has CD.


  • 97% of Americans estimated to have CD are not diagnosed.


  • Isn't this alot of people? Well I have recently found out I have an allergy to wheat. It is not fun. I love bread and pasta. I married to a half Italian I imagine you guess how much of this stuff we ate.
    Not all hope is lost though. I found some interesting articles here and there. I have a health food store that helps with buying gluten free products.
    Just found out that oatmeal is gluten free but contamination occurs and that is what causes oatmeal to be dangerous. yeah imagine that , contamination like chicken to beef! crazy huh?!
    Here are some great website for gluten free eaters. It is a life change in feelings by the way. I felt sluggish tired and sad a lot, after eating gluten free i have more energy and I feel overall better. Make sure to take your vitamins though!

    Cookies and things do turn out different, but overall i was surprised at the taste. It is not that much different at all
    • GF foods are, on average, 242% more expensive then their non-GF counterparts
    • There are currently 0 drugs available to treat CD


    Walmart has some brands of Betty crocker that are GF. Bob's red mill is really good, I get it at Kroger's grocery store. These are mainly what i eat now and have tried. We have a little town so not much to choose from.

    I am going to post my latest recipe that I made I adpated this from Martha Stewert's Easter egg recipe , it was really too sweet I suggest using half splenda or maybe less sugar . 


    • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface-- I used brown rice flour and I didn't use any surface flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
    • 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 2 cups granulated sugar-- I suggest less sugar more splenda or alternative
    • 2 large eggs
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    So when you mix the dry and mix the wet then add them together it is a bit runny. the batter will "pour" into your cookie sheet. I baked it anyways.  325 Degrees if you are wondering.  At the end i seen that that the cookie was brown on the bottom but a little runny on top , so I broiled it at 500 degrees until both sides were slightly golden brown. Take them out and let them cool a little bit and then cut them into squares. Now when i made this like I said it was really too sweet , so my hubby slapped some peanut butter on it and it became very tasty and less sweet. My toddler loved them.

    Careful to read your labels, I found that store bought icing in the cheap brands had gluten but Pillsbury didn't. At least there is a big label that says
    MAY CONTAIN : WHEAT , SOY
    That makes it easier to find quicker too.

    Ever wonder why so many kids have ADHD and things now, check this out ! ADHD and Adhd mother
    I noticed a big improvement in my toddler's terrible twos. He wasn't wanting to pay attention and was aggravated at learning. He never sat still ( still doesn't , but better) and would tantrum a lot. I changed to GF and he wants to learn and knows his numbers to 5 in a matter of two weeks. He is still an active little boy but he more calm and can pay attention to things I am saying easier.  He started memorizing songs and singing them aloud instead of looking around and running back and forth. I noticed this in two weeks.


    I started loosing weight and my diabetic sugar has been lowered a lot. I feel like I don't have the flu everyday , and I don't crack snap and pop when I get up.  I noticed that I am slimmer in my face but I noticed that instead of lossing fat I am also building more muscle tone. I lost about a pound a day for a few weeks.


    This is all I have right now for gluten free living. I will add more if I find anything else.


    Here is my random bookmarked link

    No comments:

    Post a Comment